Water Problems are Common in Virginia
Coastal cities of Virginia, like Norfolk and Hampton, are extremely susceptible to flooding. So what causes this? Flooding is caused by the floodplain and weather conditions. Because most of the cities in Virginia are low-lying, water has no place to go during intense rain. As a result, many homeowners encounter wet basements, pooling water in the yard, and wet crawl spaces. Surge flooding, caused by hurricanes and storms, causes the air pressure to push water toward the shore. For common water problems in Virginia, contact Atlas Master Companies today. We offer basement waterproofing solutions, such as sump pumps, to keep your home safe and dry.
Common Water Problems in Virginia
Water is the main culprit for water problems in Virginia, costing homeowners thousands of dollars on foundation repairs. Because Virginia is prone to flooding, water intrusion is a common issue. Water can seep through cracks and gaps in the foundation and walls. There are several ways water can affect your foundation:
- Water saturates the ground around the foundation wall, resulting in hydrostatic pressure against the foundation walls. The high pressure of the water causes the walls to bow and crack.
- Water causes soil erosion, causing the structure to weaken. Poor drainage and underground streams can wash away the soil underneath the foundation, causing it to sink. The structure settles and cracks.
- Wet soil expands around the foundation and contracts when dry. Clay soil expands and creates pressure against the foundation wall. This leads to stair-step pattern cracks. Dry clay soil contracts, causing it to pull away from the foundation. This weakens the structure and causes gaps in the wall.
- Water causes rot wood that compromises the structure of your home.
Always inspect your home for signs of water intrusion or damage. Look in the living area and basement for the following signs:
- Musty odors
- Mold and mildew growth
- Discoloration in furnishings
- Soft spots on walls
- Rusty metal appliances
- Water puddles on floor
Also, look for the common signs of foundation issues caused by water intrusion. These warning signs include:
- Sagging floors
- Uneven floors
- Squeaky or bouncy floors
- Sticking doors and windows
- Drywall cracks
- Foundation cracks
Sump Pump Solutions in Virginia
To control water around your foundation, we offer ECP sump pumps. Earth Contact Products (ECP
) is the leading manufacturer in the waterproofing industry so we guarantee quality products with professional service. Our sump pumps are energy efficient and reliable, using only half of the electricity. Our sump pumps will keep more money in your pocket while protecting your basement and crawlspace from flooding.
can be used for basements and crawl space drainage solutions by removing accumulated water from underneath the foundation to the outside of the home. As the water rises, it is diverted into the sump pit through a drainage pipe. When water reaches a certain level, the sump pump expels the collected water to the outside of the home. Choosing a sump pump for your home offers unlimited advantages such as:
- Pumps up to 5,000 gallons per hour
- Prevents settlement
- Controls moisture and humidity
- Protects your possessions from water damage
At Atlas Master Companies, we also offer battery backup sump pumps to protect your home from flooding in case you have a power outage. If you have water issues in Virginia, contact Atlas Master Companies today. We offer quality ECP sump pumps to protect your home from water and foundation damage. Atlas Master Companies is a reputable foundation repair and waterproofing company with the skills and knowledge to examine the problem and provide the best solution. We offer free estimates
so you know exactly what you're paying for. We serve the residents of Virginia. Call today!